Let's start with some good news:
- After losing 10 straight, the Padres went 4-3. Improvement, baby!
- Tim Stauffer looks legit, and with Wade LeBlanc/Kevin Correia struggling the Padres rotation needed a lift. We really needed you Tim. Nice job.
- The strike 'em out, throw 'em out to end Saturday's game was ridiculous. That was exciting.
- Bud Black finally dropped Ryan Ludwick down in the order. I'm probably the biggest Ryan Ludwick fan in San Diego, but it's about time. Ludwick has been killing us.
- San Diego is still in first.
- They are headed to Colorado. If there's a tonic for a struggling offense, it's Coors Field.
- I'm going to appear on the I-70 baseball Podcast tonight about 8:15 local time. This is a Cardinals/Royals focused production, but since San Diego will be in St Louis the end of this week, I was invited. Should be interesting. I'm expecting lots of questions on the 'collapse'.
- I did something very rash this week:
Now the bad news.
- Padres still aren't hitting. They scored 3 meaningful runs this weekend against San Francisco in 4 games. Ludwick's HR on Thursday night was nice, but cosmetic as the Padres were down 6 when he hit it.
- The brutal September continues. Now in a virtual tie for first, with Colorado only a game and a half behind both us and the Giants, we travel to Denver. Colorado has won TEN STRAIGHT at the moment, and are 11-4 this season against San Diego.
- Then they get to play in St Louis. San Diego is 7-26 in St Louis since 2000, and have lost 9 in a row there.
Hope springs eternal, but reality is starting to smother hope. Today ESPN projected the Padres have a 48.8% chance of making the playoffs. Unless they snap out of their funk starting today they might be out of the playoff hunt eintirely by next Sunday.