- Padres lost 2 of 3 in Arizona. The Padres ALWAYS lose 2 of 3 in Arizona.
- Padres lost 2 of 3 in Colorado. The Padres faced Ubaldo Jimenez and Jorge De La Rosa in that series, Colorado's two best pitchers.
- Padres lost 2 of 3 to Atlanta. They faced Tommy Henson and Tim Hudson, Atlanta's two best pitchers.
- Of the twelve total runs Atlanta scored on Wednesday and Thursday, 10 of them scored with two outs. That's a problem.
- The Padres scored two of their three runs after two away, so that's something good. However San Diego left 10 on base Wednesday (6 in scoring position), 9 yesterday (5 in scoring position). That's also a problem. The 'clutch hit-itis' extends throughout the lineup, as Blanks, Headley, J. Hairston, T Gwynn, and Eckstein have all left a guy or guys in scoring position.
- Additionally, the Padres have loaded the bases three times in the last 2 games, twice Thursday alone. They did not score a run in any of those situations.
I would consider these areas items to address by the coaching staff, as opposed to discovered weaknesses in the team.
The Padres face Arizona this weekend, and will throw Garland/Correia/ plus one against the back of the Diamondback rotation. This weekend the team should win 2 of 3. If they don't, well, then we can raise the concern level from 'its early' to 'anxious'.